6. Local décor store, RELICS Home is known for carrying unique furniture from around the world, including Abilene and the region. However, they recently made me aware of the fact that they also have a large amount of fair trade and eco-friendly décor products and gifts for the home, including: candles, pottery, wall art and more. These products, along with jewelry made by local artists, are very popular for the holiday shopping season. Another great thing about RELICS is the fact that the owner, Rebecca, transformed the original Boyd Building bathrooms into a small cantina that servers complimentary margaritas every Saturday to shoppers. It might be just what you need after all your Christmas shopping! Cost: gifts range from $5 and up. Info: 325-670-9282.
7. For the foodie or for those who need a ‘taste of Abilene,’ Texas Star Trading Co. makes customized “Taste of Abilene” baskets that include Perini Ranch Steak Rub, DRI salsa, Harold’s BBQ sauce and more. Baskets start at $12. We also just got word that Texas Star will now carry the rustic ‘Abilene’ bricks from Abilene Brick Co. Bricks will include a historical information card and are great for a nostalgic piece, collector or historian. Cost: $9.99. Info: 325-672-9696.
8. Candies by Vletas. A delicious, handmade assorted chocolate gift basket from Candies by Vletas is a holiday gift that everyone will enjoy. Candies by Vletas also has other handmade candy selections, including peanut and pecan brittles, pralines, divinity, taffy and sugar-free options. The perfect gift for your boss, neighbor, teacher or friend. Located at 1201 N. 1st St. Information: 325-673-2005.
9. Send West Texas to a loved one. This next gift is ideal for a friend or family member who has visited the Abilene/Buffalo Gap area and just couldn’t make it back for the holidays or even the foodie. Order a mesquite-smoked peppered beef tenderloin from Perini Ranch or send them “Texas Cowboy Cooking” by Tom Perini. You can order both gifts online.
10. For the person on your list who seems to have it all, how about a gift card or gift certificate to one of their favorite local restaurants, shops or attractions? That is a great way to keep your gift personal, as well as choose the dollar amount of the gift according to your budget. For children or teens, what about a gift card to Prime Time Family Entertainment Center?
Another great certificate or “pass,” is the Abilene Roundup Pass; this admits you into all attractions for one low price, $15 for adults and $7 for children 16 and younger. This would be the perfect way to welcome a new family in town over the holidays that hasn’t been to any of the attractions yet! Passes can be purchased at any Abilene attraction or at the Abilene CVB. Info: 325-676-2556.
Lastly, don’t forget your stocking stuffers! As you can see, Abilene merchants have plenty of options. Don’t forget about the Abilene Zoo, their 3,400 sq. ft. gift shop is filled with children-friendly stocking stuffers and gift ideas that are both fun and educational.
From the friend that has it all to the youngster on your list—one of our top 10 items is sure to be the answer for the perfect Christmas gift. Do you have any recommendations or questions about the gifts? Tweet to us in our ‘Twisitor Center.’ Include #abilenevisitors in your post. For the most up-to-date details, follow us @AbileneCVB, or find us on Facebook.